What should be done for hydrocephalus and infarcts developed due to meningitis?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: My father has been diagnosed with tb meningitis.medication is on for last 1.5 months.VP shunt was also done for hydrocephalus.not showing any improvement.he is unconscious for last 20 days ,doctors say it is at level 4 on Glasgow coma scale.now he has also developed infracts in his brain and has been decerebrating for last two weeks.what is the prognosis.is there any specialized hospital where he can get treatment ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query regarding your father's illness on Healthcare magic platform. I have noted the details of your father's illness. It is unfortunate that he has developed complications related to meningitis. Both hydrocephalus and infarcts indicate a poor prognosis for recovery. For hydrocephalus, the VP shunt has already been done. However, for infarcts (blood clots in brain due to lack of blood supply), there is no medication to make the affected brain recover fast or completely. As of now, the treatment is mostly supportive, with maintenance of oxygen supply and blood pressure. Feeding should be continued with Ryle's tube (food pipe from nose to stomach). The treatment for meningitis (antibiotics and TB treatment) should be continued. Steroids are also helpful if it is TB meningitis. However, with above treatment, recovery may take long, and may not be good. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/