Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What should be done for food stuck in wind pipe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10398 Questions
I just swallowed a piece of lettuce down the wrong pipe. I am breathing but it feels weird in my lungs. Is it going to be okay? I can't seem to cough it up and it is scaring me.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Usually does not cause problems. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems that a few fibers of lettuce are stuck up in your wind pipe which you are not able to cough up. Since there is no difficulty in respiration there is no need to worry. This will gradually come out after sometime. You can try back blows or abdominal thrusts for relief. The sore feeling in the throat may ease off with steam inhalation. In case any difficulty in breathing is sen then an immediate medical help is needed and you need to attend ER in such a case. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor