What percentage of essential nutrients included in the diet plan of a diabetic renal compromised patient?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Diabetes
Question: What should consist and how much of carbohydrate,fiber,iron, protein (in percentage) in a diabetic renal diet of 1500 calories in a day?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About diet in renal failure:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
First I would like to inform you that to give strict suggestions about your diet plan there are some more details needed (renal failure stage, the GFR, the amount of albuminuria ect).

Low-protein diets may slow the progression of mild and moderate renal insufficiency.
Vegan (pure vegetarian) diets have been shown to provide adequate protein.
A common recommendation is 0.6 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight, adjusted depending on the glomerular filtration rate and nutritional status, plus gram-for-gram replacement of urinary protein losses.
Talking in percentage, 60-65% would be carbohydrates (750 calories in your case and 60% of them would be provided by fibres or while grains),10-15% proteins and 25% fat.
Ferritin and iron level is needed to determine the amount of iron needed in a day.
Hope the information will help.
kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T