Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

What is the suggested medication for narrowed food pipe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
food pipe narrowed due to unknown reason, endoscpy done by the doctors . opration is not possible due to age factor and heart problem. undergone PTCA and EF is 20%, age is 80 years.suggest the medication.diabitic pasant
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ryle's tube feeds the only option. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. Taking into consideration all the medical issues involved in the case as well as the scopy report very little can be done. A ryles tube inserted into the stomach is the only remedy left for feeding. Anti diabetic medications need to be started depending upon the severity of diabetes,the heart status and renal function. The prognosis is not good. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the suggested medication for narrowed food pipe? 5 hours later
can medication may be helpfull for treatment. the patation can take liquied easly. can the situation may deteriorated more in the coming days or it can be stable at this stage through medication. please give your full review in detail.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medications will not help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. From the description given it appears to be a age related motility disorder.Even endoscopy did not reveal any lesion as such. A dilatation was done to improve the swallowing process. In such cases medications will not be of any use whatsoever. Recurrent dilatation's will also be XXXXXXX as there is a likelihood of perforation or rupture which can be a catastrophe for the patient. His cardiac status will not allow any intervention as his body will not be able to tolerate it. As long as the patient is swallowing fluids it is good to wait and watch. But once this deteriorates then ryle's tube will be the only option. There is a high possibility of this happening. I hope this answers your doubt. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor