What is the resting heartbeat for 73 years old?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: is a resting heartbeat of 47bpm okay for a 73 year old male?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

47 bpm does not sound ok. Only at very active people like athletes such low heart rate can be something normal. Otherwise it should be diagnosed.
Such low heart rate can be caused by some heart block or even heart attack. Moreover, if you have been defibrillated before, you are at high risk of heart problem.
You should go to ER if possible and have heart ECG performed. At your case, peacemaker seems reasonable solution.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.