What is the possibility of worm presence in urine

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I just woke up (3 am) to go pee. When I stood up from the toilet, there was a 2.5 - 3 inch very thin worm squigling around. I didn't feel anything abnormal when I peed, but I didn't notice if there was something already in the toilet bowl before I used it.. I use the birth control 'Nuvaring' so I pulled it out to see if it brought out anything else, but it came out clean as it normally does. I did not put it back in. Only bathroom related issues as of recently: I've been pretty constipated the past couple of weeks, only being able to go #2 minimally if at all. My stomach is & has been bloated as I know I need to go, but don't feel like I can, like I don't have the muscle strength to push. As I've gotten older (I'm 27) being somewhat constipated is not abnormal for me.
Please help me, I'm freaking out about this worm thing! I haven't traveled anywhere recently. I haven't eaten anything contaminated that I know of. I do drink water from the tap, but I live in Southern California. I do not have insurance at the moment...
Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Worm most unlikely to be passed in urine

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms. XXXXXXX

Thanks for choosing health care magic.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding parasitic infection.

It is most unlikely that such a large sized worm, about 2.5 to 3 inches is passed in urine.

Parasites causing infection of the bladder which are passed in urine are usually leaf shaped and very small about few millimeters to few centimeters.

The worm was most probably in the toilet bowl before you used it.

However, based on the symptoms in your query, a suspicion of parasitic infection of gastrointestinal tract arises.

I would suggest you undergo a microscopic examination of stool sample for eggs and ova which will clearly rule out parasitic infection.

Few tips to deal with constipation:
1. Adequate water intake, at least 3-4 liters per day.
2. Increase fiber content in your diet like salads, fruits etc.
3. Have a regular diet, avoid irregular eating habits.
4. Have a regular exercise regime which will boost your metabolic rate and also your appetite and help in smooth bowel movements.

I hope I have answered all your queries.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.