What is the normal breathing pattern for a 2 year old?

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, What is the normal breathing pattern for a two-year old? Nasal or oral? How long should a two-year old child be able to maintain a nasal breathing pattern? If there are respiratory issues ( Down Syndrome child with enlarged adenoids), what would be a reasonable amount of time to expect a nasal breathing pattern to be maintained? (10 secs, 30 secs, etc.)? Thank you, I'm writing oro-motor goals for one of my students…..

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breathing

Detailed Answer:
A two year old will breath primarily through the nose. Sometimes when tired there will be some mouth breathing.
In cases where there are respiratory issues like asthma or enlarged adenoids, we expect the breathing to be primarily mouth breathing.
Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician