Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What is the medical process to increase height ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I am 5"5" and want to increase my height up to 6 feet with the help of medicines & by any medical process
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

The age up to which a person can naturally grow is approximately 18-22 years. Medically this is known as skeletal maturity. Once the bones have achieved their maximum height, no medicine, exercise or health supplements can help to grow them more.

But for patients with unilateral or bilateral limb deformity with length discrepancy can undergo a procedure called the ILLIZAROV technique. In this surgery one can increase the length of long bone up to a desired level in a timely fashion.

I assume your urgency for increase in height is well reasoned, but I assure you its not worth all the inconvenience caused by a surgery. I recommend you read more on the internet on illizarov technique.

Do write the reason for increasing height if you like to.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the medical process to increase height ? 14 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I need the same for a very valid reason & its my utmost requirement !!!!!!!!!!!

moreover,if you can put some more light for ILLIZAROV technique then it will be much more beneficial for me.

Also , I lived in chandigarh so if you can suggest any place near to the same from where can i get this treatment that will help me a lot.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up .

Illizarov technique is a surgery wherein a long bone is surgically broken(osteotomy), and pins are passed through the bone at a specific level above and below the point of osteotomy in 2 horizontal
dimensions. Then the pins above and below the osteotomy are connected with vertical rods and a circumferential cage is put for stability of entire construct.

Now this connecting rod is loosened everyday with a key so that it creates a gap of 1 mm at the osteotomy site. At this rate it takes a slow and orderly fashion of bone growth at the site of

So it take anywhere between 3-6 months to achieve the desired length. As i said this is usually done for patients with one sided limb length discrepancy (LLD), and not for cosmetic reasons.

The finer details and complications of the procedure are beyond the scope of this answer. kindly browse on internet for details and images.

Visit any orthopaedic surgeon in chandigarh and he'll tell you where it can be done.OR You can search for a doctor in your area at WWW.WWWW.WW .

On a personal note, i would say no reason other than LLD would convince an orthopaedic surgeon or a patient to undergo this lengthy procedure. believe me you are far more better off with your height and thanks almighty for the same. learn to love what you have and live
with it.

Let nature take its course. Forgive me if i've put it a little straight forward like this. But i'm sure you'll reason with me.

Wishing you good health.

good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor