What is the dosage of Orni-O for prostatitis?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015 in General Health
Question: My penis is burning doctors says it is prostatis. Some times it pains. Does orni o tablet help. What is the dosage.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prostatitis probably Chronic bacterial & intermittent urethritis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Burning sensation in penis is due to urethritis. In prostatitis ,prostatic part of urethra may also be involved.
Prostatitis is usually due to bacterial infection.Chronic bacterial prostatitis usually presents as intermittent urinary tract infections( Some times it pains).
You need to undergo routine urinalysis,Urine culture and sensitivity before starting any antibiotic like tablet orni o (Ornidazole IP 500 mg & Offloxacin IP 200 mg ).Its standard dose is 1 tablet twice a day for a minimum period of 05 days. In case of prostatitis it has to be taken for a longer period to eliminate infection.It is a prescription drug and its dose and duration of treatment has to be decided by treating doctor in an individual patient.
To help express prostatic secretions that may contain WBCs and bacteria, prostate massage is sometimes used and prostatic fluid is subjected to culture & sensitivity test to yield better results.
Hence you need to consult a doctor.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 5 hours later
I have already taken a course of niftran for 5 days it was very helpful. Now my stomach is also crampin and hence I plan to take orni o which I hav taken earlier also
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stomach cramp? mixed infection

Detailed Answer:

Orni o (Ornidazole IP 500 mg & Ofloxacin IP 200 mg ) is usually prescribed for mixed infection (amebiaisis/giardiasis and bacterial diarrhoea).

Many physicians treat moderately to severely ill patients with febrile dysentery empirically without diagnostic evaluation using a quinolone, such as Ofloxacin.

Empirical treatment can also be considered for suspected giardiasis or amebiaisis with Ornidazole.
Hence you can take a course of Orni o empirically presumably for mixed infection causing stomach cramp but since it is a prescription drug you need to consult your local doctor.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj