Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the dangly thing underneath my tongue?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi I have a little dangley thing under my tongue that if I put pressure on it
It hurts a little
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The under side of tongue is very vascular and contains lots of areolar tissue embedded with lymphoid tissues.
The lump if has developed recently and is painful then it can be a local infection or just a reactionary swelling due to infection/boil in the nearby region.
Another possibility is a swelling due to stone in the Wharton's duct of the salivary gland.
Another possibility is overgrowth of the local soft tissues.
It is advisable that you get examined by an ENT surgeon and get treatment after investigations.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor