Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

What is the cause for sore lumps under skin by tailbone?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I have two lumps under my skin by my tailbone on both sides, they have been really sore, what are they? What should I do?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: If this is painful on touch then this is probably inflammation process which is very common in this area. There are several possible causes: it can be simple folliculitis due to hair follicle infection or it can be more severe abscess such as perianal abscess or pylonidal cyst. Folliculitis may pass spontaneously or with antibiotics,but other 2 should be treated surgically since it may progress and usually it comes back even after it heals. Surgical drainage is most efficient treatment and pain is immidiately gone after procedure. So I suggest to visit doctor who will examine these bumps and then it can be managed under local or short general anasthesia or antibiotics can be prescribed. Meanwhile,you should keep this area clean and dry and avoid scratching. Other possible causes are benign subcutaneous lesions such as lipoma,fibroma or cysts but it would not be painful. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause for sore lumps under skin by tailbone? 6 minutes later
Is there any way to stop the bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: you can apply pressure on it by sterile gauze and hold it for 5 minutes or put some ice on it for 10-15 minutes. But if it bleeds then you should visit doctor definitely. it doesnt indicate anything serious,but it probably wont pass spontaneously and some intervention is necessary.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor