What is the cause and treatment for constant pain in lower rib area?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, I have had on-going rib pain that has been off and on for the past three years, but it seems like it is getting worse. It is a particular spot on the rib that is tender at times on the lower right rib. I feel the pain if I press on it, or if I am laying on that side at times. When I first noticed the pain (about three years ago), I did go to an urgent care facility, and they did an x-ray, and they diagnosed me with chostocondritis.... I'm concerned because everything I read about chostocondritis is mainly on the left side.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think it is costochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I have read your condition but I am not convinced that it is costochondritis. As this condition usually affect child or young and usually last for few months at maximum.It can affect both side and not confined to left side.
As you are saying that you are having this condition since three years, It can be a tender point .In this condition there are some tender spots ( one or more in body) which hurts when pressed. I would suggest you to take a steroid injection in that part. You can discuss this option with your doctor.
If there is still pain after one injection it can be repeated after 3 months.
I hope this answer will help you .Let me know if you want to ask any other follow up questions.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T