Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What is the best treatment for intussusception of small bowel?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My wife (43 Years Old) has been diagnosed with an Intussusception of the small bowel, most likely a result of have a stomach bypass surgery ~ 11 years ago. I'm looking for a qualified doctor in the US who can help her with surgery to correct the concern. That is the most qualified doctor I can find, not just a local surgeon. I want her to have the best possible outcome with the least risk. We live in Central California and have good medical coverage since I work for Boeing Corporation and she works for Lockheed Corporation. Can you help me find a Bariatric Surgeon or one who has performed numerous successful corrective intussusception surgeries? Regards, XXXXXXX XXXX email: YYYY@YYYY My wife has not been diagnosed with cancer and as far as we know at this time does not have cancer. Please disregard the user selected category for cancer on this request. My wife has been diagnosed with an intussusception of the small bowl and she does have a history of being anemic. We live in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX County in California and we're are in search of an "experienced intussuception surgeon" for this fairly rare condition. Please Advise, XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Discussion. Detailed Answer: hello thank you for sending the question. This is an excellent question and I can understand why you want to obtain expert medical advice and surgical opinion. My first question for you is do you know if your insurance policy is affiliated with any major university system in California. This will help me look on your behalf for surgeons who might be specially skilled in this particular type of surgery. Please let me know more about the situation and more about her symptoms and we can extend our discussion to help you get to the right physician. sincerely Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the best treatment for intussusception of small bowel? 25 hours later
We have an HMO policy administered through Health Net of Southern California. I do not specifically see the mention of "University Medical Centers" in the policy, but it does say they will cover procedures recommended by a specialist. Thus, USLA may not be out of the question. Although, it appears we may be confined to the Southern California region, Bakersfield to the Southern California boarder (i.e San Diego) XXXXXXX had here initial gastric bypass surgery back in, March of 2003. She lost all 158lbs during the course of that initial year and has maintained her current weight ever since. She currently weights 125lbs and stands 5'2" tall. She's been mildly anemic since prior to the initial surgery. Recently she has been complaining of a sharp pain that originates in her belly on the lower right side and travels all the way up her shoulder. She's had this pain off and on for the past several months. She has also notice she's occasionally passing stool that appears to have a jelly like consistency. Her current doctor has been trying to understand the concern by ordering a series of test. She's had blood work every fifteen days, ultrasound, and recently a CT scan. The CT scan showed the intussusception of the small bowel. She has a consultation next Wednesday with a fairly in-experienced bariatric surgeon to discuss her options. Thus, I decided to conduct my own research to find an experienced surgeon with this fairly recent Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery. phenomenon. Please Advise, XXXXXXX XXXX Dr. XXXXXXX If I had to choose between my wife's health over financial well being, I would choose my wife's health every time! Thank you for you precious time and serious consideration in helping, XXXXXXX obtain the best treatment and subsequent recover possible. She's a remarkable woman, Doctor. Respectfully, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: thank you again for sending the question. I completely your standard situation and it is very encouraging to see such a very loving relationship. this type of connection will foster continued good health in the future for both of you I am very confident of this. regarding the particular surgery for intussusception it is important for the surgeon to take a very thorough history to see if he might determine what the most beneficial surgical option is for her. The pain maybe related to the small intestine issue but all other causes must be ruled out. this includes any problem with the female reproductive organs. Most likely the discomfort is related to the intussusception but again a comprehensive evaluation should be performed which I am fairly sure you have already had done. The state of California has several university level systems with excellent surgery programs. This includes the University of California system as well as Stanford University among others. The other potential consideration would be for you to travel to a major referral center such as Mayo Clinic or MD XXXXXXX for a particular opinion. This does require a significant time and resources but I have seen some patients do very well at these institutions. They might only give you opinions or help your local doctors make important decisions. let me know if you are particularly limited to the state of California or to a particular region of California at this time. Otherwise you might consider traveling to another institution for a couple of days for a comprehensive evaluation. Thank you again for sending your question. I am available for his long as it takes to help this issue resolve on your behalf. Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor