Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

What is the alternative medication for creon?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
regarding the pancreas, is ther eany other medicine available besides creon to replace the enzymes in one's body. creaon has too many serious side effects, e.g. bowel obstruction.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks or the query. CREON is basically an enzymatic preparation which helps in digestion of food and given to people who don't make enough of enzymes due to either some disease or due to removal of some or total of pancreas. CREON is a mixture of amylase,protease and lipase. Although there are various substitutes of CREON,but all of them contain these enzymes in various concentrations. A preparation called as VIOKASE 16 is available which has less quantity of these enzymes. The comparison of these two products is as below... VIOKASE 16 Lipase 16,000Units, protease 60,000Units, amylase 60,000Units; tabs. CREON 20  lipase 20,000 units, protease 75,000 Units and amylase 66,400 Units per capsule. in nut shell you have to take these pancreatic enzyme preparations and there is no other product available which does the same work but doesn't have these enzymes. You must talk to your doctor for the detail and advise regarding usage of products having lesser concentration. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor