What is lichen planus pigmentosus. What are the treatment and precaution to be taken?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: our skin specialist has advised medicine for Skin desease LPP. please tell us about this, reasons, symptoms, treatment & precausions to be adopted.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Lichen Planus Pigmentosus is a hyperpigmentary skin disorder characterised by dark brown or grayish lesions over sun exposed areas and flexors.
Unfortunately no cause has been implicated. Some consider application of Amla oil, XXXXXXX , fragrant cosmetics or hair XXXXXXX to be causative in few cases.
As such the disease is asymptomatic however in few lesions can itch.
Treatment is in the form oforal and topical steroids, oral vitamin A derivatives, tacrolimus ointment,pigmentation reducing creams, peels, lasers. None of these are totally effective.
The best preventive measure is to avoid sun exposure and use a sun screen. Also intake of oral antioxidant is advised by many.
Hope that helps. Should therebe any other query, I shall be available for follow up.
Dr Kalpana Pathak