question-icon

What does this urine culture report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015
Question: "No pus cells,Ocassional epethetical cells and gram positive bacilli seen" resulted in urine culture report of 53 years aged women.Is there necessary of any medicine?
Answered by Dr. Heera Lal Poonia (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
if no symptoms, antibiotics not required

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, welcome to HCM and thanks for choosing us.

I understand your concerns about urine culture report and subsequent prescription by your doctor.

Let me tell you that if you don't have any urine related symptoms like
burning micturition or
Fever or
pain in bladder area or
blood in urine,
then the gram positive bacilli which have come in culture results are lactobacillus bacteria. Lactobacillus is a commensal microorganism in vagina. You don't need to take antibiotics.

I hope my reply will help you. Please write to us for follow up queries. I wish you good health. Kindly rate this reply. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Heera Lal Poonia