What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had thyrodectomy 6 years due to multi nodular thyroid and i have been on thyroxin since
Last month i had a lump in my midline neck which is shown and touched
I visited endcronologyst and he did ultrasound and show 2cm*1.5cm*1cm mass close to lynarx he did a biopsy which result stated "celullar specimen composed of varying proportions of abundant benign sheets of follicular cells and colloid. Micro and macrofollicles are identified. Few small lymphcytes seen"

I didnt understand and i need to know what it means because my doctor is away for 2 weeks.

Please support me into understand what it means and what is your initial opinion
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid benign lesion

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern. The biopsy details are suggestive of thyroid lesion which appears benign. Thyroid nodules can occasionaly regenerate in the operated site . Sometimes they can regenerate from the little thyroid cells which are attached to neck tissues.
Not to worry, the biopsy reports point to a benign etiology, however, may i suggest to please discuss with your endocrinologist about running molecular tests in biopsy sample. That would be great to exclude malignancy.
Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 59 minutes later
I will ask my endocrinologist to run the suggested test however im still worried that the lump im having is not in the thyroid bed but obove and my endocrenologist was surprised about its location
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can present all along the embriological development path

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the reply. Thyroid gland originate at the base of tongue during early development while you are still inside mother's womb. The gland then descends down to the position in neck at birth.. So you could possibly have thyroid tissues from the base of tongue and downwards along the path of descent . I am not surprised at the position. Thyroid gland and thyroid cells can be present at the root of tongue ,,high up in neck and way down near to heart also. I have personally seen few patients with thyroid cells in ectopic locations.
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 minutes later
Thanks for immediate reply

Is neck pains, nausea, severe headache, behind ear pain related to what im having?
I have increasing flam like i need to spit it out most of the time
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UNLIKELY

Detailed Answer:
It's difficult to answer without examination. However logically your pain and other symptoms don't seem to be associated with the neck swelling. It sounds like a viral infection.