question-icon

What does this pregnancy ultrasound scan report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 27 Jun 2015
Question: In my 12 weeks of pregnancy ultrasound, a grossly deformed fetal spine is detected, doctor has advised for abortion. Do we have another way out
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Repeat ultrasound advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your anxiety related to the issue but there is no way out in case the spine is badly deformed as it cannot be treated by medicines.
In some cases surgery can cure the problem to some extent but still there are many associated problems even after surgery like urine and fecal incontinence and motor and sensory loss jn legs.
So best option is to abort the pregnancy but you should get another ultrasound done to reconfirm the findings.
In case you have other questions i will be glad to answer.
Dr Manisha.
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN