How can fecal incontinence be treated?

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have hemorrhoids, I take 50 million culture probiotic, often have loose stool, cant go completely at one sitting, sometimes pass gas uncontrollably, will leak some after a movement. anything I can do ?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be fecal incontinence.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
From what I can understand, I guess you have written leakage of stools with gas. So my answer is based on that if I got you wrong you may please revert back.

Leakage of stool can be suggestive of fecal incontinence.Fecal incontinence causes stool and other fecal matter to leak from your rectal canal. It can range from occasional leakage while passing gas to a complete loss of bowel control.So initially I would suggest you go for a digital rectal examination by a surgeon.Most commonly at your age nerve damage is an important cause of fecal incontinence.

For the time being
Anti-diarrheal drugs such as loperamide (Imodium) and diphenoxylate and atropine sulfate (Lomotil) along with bulk-forming agents like Metamucil can be taken to provide symptomatic relief however they may cause constipation which can further worsen the problem of hemorrhoid.

So initially would suggest you visit a general surgeon and get your rectal canal investigated.

Hope I was helpful. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2400 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Loose stool

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr. Grief, I have the following symptoms: Could you please diagnose and prescribe a med? 1. Frequent ulcers in mouth 2. Weakness and unable...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I am 28year male and is suffering from frequent and excessive flatulence . My bowel movements are fine but the stool is smelly and loose...

doctor1 MD

Last night about awoke with abdominal cramps and full body sweats. Home temp. 70 degrees.

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor I am worried recently so much regarding HIV . I have one friend for past 4 years. she has been really good friend of mine but i dont...

doctor1 MD

My 4 month old boy poop is somewhat whitish yellow/lime color since 2/3 days and its loose in nature .Previously his poop color was sometimes...

doctor1 MD

hello Doctors, i d like too ask if it is possible to have amoebiasis if the stool is just loose and watery and without blood. i m worried about my...

doctor1 MD

hi my name is AAAAAAA i had a period on thursday & got a bowel spasm i was diagnose with a spastic bowel i just like to know . i vomited up brown...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

166 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction