What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: MRI left ankle...
Severe ankle sprain with full thickness tears of the anterior talofibular and calcaneofibular ligaments and a high grade tear of the deep fibers of the deltoid ligaments.
Tibiotalar joint effision and a small osteochondral lesion of the posterior margin of the lateral XXXXXXX dome.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical intervention needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Unfortunately if there is full thickness tear, the ligaments would not unite on their own and surgical interventions would be necessary. This has to be followed by plastering and rest for a certain period. You need to get in touch with an orthopedic surgeon or plastic surgeon for the same.

I do not have adequate information available to comment on the tibiotalar effusion. The X Rays or MRI need to be examined and clinical correlations need to be drawn. However, your doctor could take a look and guide you accordingly. Probably the pathologies are related.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 hours later
Will this type of injury heal correctly without surgery, the ortho referral seems to think PT is the way to go and said the ligaments will heal themselves without surgery
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on what the scenario is.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome Back,

If it is a full thickness ligament tear, it would not heal correctly. I do not think that it would heal without surgical interventions. However, if it is a partial tear or simply a sprain, it would heal with time and simple steps like crepe bandage (restricting movement to allow for healing) and physical therapy (PT).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee