What does the following ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi i got Preventive ultrasound done. it says left kidney have echogenic foucs in upper calyx (not casting posterior acoustic shadow) what it means
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
echogenic focus means some thing solid

Detailed Answer:

Hi Garg,

echogenic focus means something which reflects back the ultrasound waves of the ultrasound machine. these are generally kidney stones as they are hard substances and do not allow ultrasonic waves to travel through them. these echogenic foci appear white on ultrasound and have a dark area below them ( acoustic shadow) as no sound waves have traveled to that area. but in your reports there is no posterior acoustic shadow.

so what you need to do is- do a urine routine, serum creatinine and if they are normal . go for a CT scan with contrast to ascertain the nature of these echogenic foci.

It can still be stones ( made of softer material), sloughed papilla, concretions, infections and other diseases.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 25 hours later
thnks Doc.

next line says" s/o? calcium Deposit.

Do i still need to under CT Scan.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
ct may help

Detailed Answer:

? calcium deposits-- means that they may be made of calcium, like stones are MADE OF CALCIUM. sometimes calcium can deposit in the kidney tissues itself. and these are not actually stones and are called nephrocalcinosis.

in any case even a plain CT KUB scan give lot of information regarding the disease. nothing more can be interpreted from the tests which have been done till now.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj