What does the following CBC result indicate?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I was hoping you could help me understand my son's cbc results. The following were flagged: HCT 42.3, RDW-CV 12.2, EO# 0.5. Everything else is in the normal range. My son is 9 years old. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and have evaluated the report of your son's blood work.
You have nothing to worry about.All blood parameters are within normal range.
Considering his age ,normal values for HCT are considered 35-45 %.Different labs use different reference values,for this reason a HCT value of 42.3 % is considered abnormal from the lab because it is over the upper range of the reference values used from this lab.In other labs it would be considered completely normal.Mild dehydration can also cause an elevation on hematocrit value.So a value of HTC 42.3% is considered within normal range and not of concern.
Normal range for RDW is between 11-15% so a value of 12.5 is considered normal,although a low RDW has no great clinical significance.

The normal range for Eosinophils in cbc is 0-3 % but values over 0.5 % are considered abnormal.The cause might be an allergic condition (allergic rhinitis etc) or a parasitic infection.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry.The test results are normal.

Hope it helps.
Feel free to ask for every question you might have.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati