What does restrictive pattern in a spirometry test indicate?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi I recently had a spirometry test that showed a restrictive pattern but had post bronchodilation. Was prescribed symbicort and referred to a specialist. The specialist ordered a ct scan and another spirometry test. The spirometry test showed normal levels because of my symbicort use of 1 month, plus I had a positive post bronchodilation with this Test aswell.
Which means I am responding well to.it. But I am worried about my ct scan results. are you able to see from a photo from a portion of my ct scan video if there is a restrictive Lung disease? Bear in mind there is reflection as I.took the photo off the computer screen

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You could be suffering from asthma.

Detailed Answer:

Hello Rnardella,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

You have not mentioned as to why you got a spirometry done. What symptoms you were having .

From your description I presume you are having breathlessness and or cough which may or may not be dry. Do you suffer from asthma and are you allergic to dust and smoke?

Spirometry only gives a pattern of airway disease. In asthma it is generally obstructive but ofcourse you may get restrictive pattern as well depending on many other factors.

The CT cuts posted by you appear to be normal though difficult to comment in the absence of film. What does the radiologist`s report say?

Post symbicort spirometry may be normal because of symbicort. Continue taking it and consult a pulmonologist asap.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 36 minutes later
Thank you. I suffer from auto immune type disorders but have no positive ana yet. I have idiopathic chronic urticaria and raynauds etc...
Specialist was thinking it might be ild with asthma aswell or a allergic type asthma. My chest hurts when i breathe, I suffered from breathlessness and had tachycardia. They did the spirometry and it showed a restrictive pattern with improved post bronchodilation hence why asthma is suspected with a restrictive disorder. If the ct is normal that means it's just asthma.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ILD needs to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:

Yes the restrictive pattern is generally seen in ILD but may also be seen in Asthma along with obstructive pattern esp if the asthma is long standing. Since there is good response to symbicort, asthma is a possibility.

The cut of CT sent by you now shows some ground glass pattern in the lower lung fields which may be seen in ILD. Please have your CT reported upon by the radiologist.

You must consult a local pulmonologist as he may conduct some more tests to confirm/rule out ILD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj