What does raised gamma-GT and biliubin means?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi could you please tell me what gamma-GT OF 184 and biliubin of 5 means also thank you
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT) is raised. Bilirubin is also increased. For a better interpretation, you should provide the direct and indirect bilirubin levels. As you did not provide the other parameters, I assume that they are within normal limit.

Isolated increase of these two indicates presence of biliary obstruction along with parenchymal damage.

Biliary obstruction means there is obstruction in the drainage of bilirubin. It may occur due to presence of any stone in the bile duct or any type of stricture in the bile duct. Raised level of GGT is also seen in alcohol ingestion.

As you have mentioned that you have history of gall bladder and breast cancer, you should consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.