• question-icon

What does passing of clear liquid substance from the bowels indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am passing a clear liquid from my bowels. No apparent fecal material. lots of cramps? What's going on /
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
For how long has this been going on?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. This appears to be diarrhea. Causes of diarrhea are varied depending on the nature and duration. Acute diarrhea is mostly caused by viruses alongside other possible bacterial infections. Other possible causes include foo intoxication and food intolerance.

The good news is that the general management of diarrhea is very similar and effective-Increased fluid intake to compensate for losses. This cures the majority of diarrhea episodes. If this persist, then investigations for possible infectious causes are done. F

For now, increase your fluid intake, and report progress for evaluation and guidance. If it persists beyond 48hours, I will request for laboratory investigations and consider antibiotics.

I hope to hear from you and I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah