• question-icon

What does numbness in the wrist indicate?

Posted on Fri, 16 Dec 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear Doctor,
My Father is feeling numbness in wrist part of right hand since 3-4 days. He had suffered an injury to this hand 14 years ago. There were no symptoms of numbness before this.

Could you please let us know if it is something which need to be worried?. Kindly let us know whom to consult(Specialist). Do we need to go though any tests?.

Thank you in advance for your detailed answer!!.

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
a Neurologist should be the one to be consulted..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern for your father,

No, this sudden 3-4 days history of numbness, doesn't seem to be related to that 14yrs' past minor accident..

Although it doesn't sound too worry-some as per the description, but he needs to be properly examined by a Neurologist clinically, to find out the exact cause behind this (there are numerous causes behind such symptoms, so proper detailed examination is needed for exact diagnosis, few relevant investigations i.e. CBC, electrolytes, serum Vit B12 and Vit D3 level , X-ray of the wrist and if inconclusive, then MRI to look in to it further) is needed..

Do let me know if there's any further queries

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist