What does my urine test report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I got my urine test result and it says color: yellow, appearance: cloudy, reaction: acidic, specific gravity:1.015, albumin: negative, glucose: negative, pus cells: 4-6hpf, red blood cells: NIL, crystals: NIL & bacteria: +. Please let me know if this is normal for women. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have mild UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have urinary symptoms like burning urination,frequency,urgency etc.?

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Thanks Doc for the answer. I dont have burning sensation during urination. I pee frequently whenever I finish 2 small glasses of water or 1 500ml bottle of water. Do you think I have mild UTI in this case?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes It is UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback.
Presence of 4-6 pus cells,Red blood cells.and bacteria with increased frequency of urination strongly suggests infection

It will get cured within a week with treatment I have suggested in my reply earlier.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later
What is the normal pus cells for women, Doc? I spoke to my friend that is a Doctor and she said my urine result is normal and that 4-6 pus cells is normal for women. I had also read in google while searching for answers and one of the doctors mentioned that bacteria in urine is normal. Finally, I dont experience burning sensation when urinating so it can be UTI without this pain? Apologies for the questions.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal urine will have 2-3 pus cells.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Normal urine will have 2-3 pus cells but will not have red blood cells.
It will be better if you get urine culture done to rule out active infection
It could be a mild inflammation of bladder mucosa.(Cystitis)
Tanks and Regards.
Dr.Patl.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 8 minutes later
Thank you for your helpful reply. My red blood cells says NIL. What does NIL means?Also what are the causes of UTI?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UTI is common in females

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Sorry for interpretation in reading as RED cells positive .
UTI is common in female due to proximity of urethral opening being very close to vagina and anus .That is one of the the reason for getting UTI .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.,
I see... Men are not prone to UTI I supposed but in the case men has high pus cells is that also UTI and what are the causes for men?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not evry men have high pus cells in urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Men usually get UTI due to unprotected sex or due to using chemically lubricated condoms
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
You mean STD? Is this the most cause or Kidney/bladder stones is the most cause why men got high pus cells or UTI?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not STD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
One can get simple bacterial infection due to unprotected sex .

Stones in urinary system are are always formed secondary to infection.or due to derangement in calcium metabolism or precipitation of Oxalate in urine.

I have not heard of men having high pus cells in urine unless they have UTI.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
I asked because my boyfriend had urine test and the result was that he has high pus cells. So I had urine test and that's the result. I havent spoke to the doctor yet as he was on break when I went to get my result. I am not sure who amongst us has the infection first. Im honestly not active with sex life but when we were together for 5 days for our lil vacation we had it 3x a day. Is this the reason?
Brief Answer:
Yesthis can be the reason for UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up and additional information which you should have posted earlier.

Do not worry take the treatment suggested earlier .

It will get cured.within a week.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. If in a week of taking these antibiotics and get cured, will it come back again when we contact?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible to recur infection .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.Both of you take medicine for a week and repeat your routine urine tests and urine culture . ..

If it reveals presence of pus cells and bacteria take appropriate antibiotics as per culture report..

Ensure to avoid sexual encounters till it heals up completely.and make a routine to have unprotected safe sex..

Thanks and Regards.

Dr.Patil.
Dr.Patil.