Is Fosamax effective in treating joints and muscle pain?
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Fosamex is a brand name for alendronate which are from bisphosphonates family which are calcium metabolism modifiers. With osteoporosis there is severe loss of calcium from bones and bones become fragile and alendronates tries to help and recover.
As far as muscle and joint pains are concerned, its not the side effect of alendronate, its the osteoporosis and age related arthralgias that is causing these discomforts . Alendronate is there to help , along with it some good analgesics and muscle relaxant can be tried to sort it out. Supportive care for pain relief is all one can offer. Please talk to your pain management doctor and let them help for the pain.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dot forget to close the discussion please.
Alendronate side effects
Thank you for getting back to me
Yes there are some black box warnings for alendronate. If people had the history of getting severe musculoskeletal pain with use of alendronate and needs to be discontinued but frequency of such people is less than 1 % of its users so quite rare. Yes alendronate depletes calcium reserves and re drives them to bone and causes hypocalcemia and is the common reason for such pains and discomforts. Supplemental use of calcium supplements and once in a month dosage of alendronate takes care of these symptoms. If there are any severe pain symptoms, or osteonecrosis of jaw symptoms then discontinuing it with your prescribers consult is wise.
As far as mechanism is concerned, alendronate binds to hydroxyapatite crystals in bone and inhibits osteoclast-mediated bone resorption; decreases mineral release and collagen or matrix breakdown in bone.
I hope it helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is joint or muscle pain or stiffness a side effect of leflunomide?
- Is joint or muscle pain a side effect of amoxicillin and clavulanate?
- Is joint or muscle pain or stiffness a side effect of serzone?
- Is joint or muscle pain a side effect of betaxolol ophthalmic?
- Is joint or muscle pain a side effect of fiorinal with codeine?
- Fosamax side effects muscle pain
- Is joint or muscle pain a side effect of brinzolamide ophthalmic?
- Is joint or muscle pain or stiffness a side effect of nefazodone?
- Muscle pain and joint pain
- Fosamax muscle pain