• question-icon

What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I had a D&C on 6/20. Yesterday ultrasound showed I had some clots in my uterus so I was given cytotec, which I took last night. I passed some clots when I went to the bathroom this morning. Other than that I really haven't been bleeding. Would it be ok to take a bath tonight?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take a bath

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
The clot you have passed was that which was there in the uterine cavity.
The cytotec has helped it to be expelled out of the uterus, making the abortion process complete.
You can take a bath very well.
There is nothing to worry about that.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 10 minutes later
I know that you are not my doctor, and she would be the best to ask, but that isn't an option tonight. I was worried that maybe it hadn't worked cause I hear how painful taking cytotec can be, and that it makes you bleed a lot. Which when I woke up in the middle of the night, there was more blood than usual and same when I woke up today and felt the clots pass. The bleeding as really died out. I would say it's a tad heavier than spotting. Do you think maybe my body has cleared its self out at this point. My dr said I would bleed for two weeks after cytotec, which would make me bleed for 5 weeks if that were the case. But like I said it's very light now. It's been 24 hours since I took my first dose.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding will be less

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
If the size of clots is small, less than 3 cm, then the bleeding will occur maximum for a day or two without any pain.
When the cytotec is taken for medical abortion, then only there is pain in the abdomen as the abortion process starts and bleeding occurs for 7-10 days.
I suggest you not to worry as the bleeding is not heavy from cytotec when taken after D & C.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine