What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: This is regarding my wife pregnancy. Week is 19, during level 2 ultrasound, it is found that placenta is seen anteriorly, its lower margin is completely covering internal OS. XXXXXXX thickness of placenta is 27.3mm.
Wife age is 29yrs.
Please help whether it will resolve in next coming week or need to worry about it?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat scan at 34 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Usually, the placenta migrates upwards in the uterine cavity as the uterus enlarges with advancing gestation.
The low placenta in second trimester migrates upwards in 98% cases by 32-34 weeks.
Till then, intercourse and heavy work should be avoided to prevent any bleeding due to low lying placenta.
So, do not worry, and get a repeat scan at 34 weeks to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad