What does my histopathology report indicate?

Oncologist
Question
Hi there. I am trying to make sense of a histopathology report, specifically for a glioblastoma brain tumour. I wondered if there were any doctors with experience in this field who could help translate it into something easier for me to understand?
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This histopath report is suggestive of IDH wild type glioblastoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This report confirms a diagnosis of glioblastoma, which is a type of malignant brain tumor arising from glial (supporting) cells of the brain.

Nowadays, the various molecular alterations are also reported which have implications for prognosis and treatment. IDH1 mutant glioblastomas have a slightly better prognosis. But here it is wild type (majority are wild type). In this tumor, there is no MGMT promoter methylation too. MGMT methylation implicates a better prognosis and higher responses to a chemo called temozolomide.

So overall, this report suggests a glioblastoma with poor prognostic features.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further followup.

Follow-up: What does my histopathology report indicate? 16 hours later
Thank you. Please can you explain what EFGR amplification and focal p53 expression means? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not much significant in his case

Detailed Answer:
Considering the other factors, EFGR and p53 expression does not change the prognosis. EFGR inhibitors are in clinical trials. If he is eligible for any of those then he may be enrolled in it.