What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal
I recently went for MRI because of my fibroids. They found a small right hematosalpinx. I went for a surgical consult with a robotic surgeon for fibroids. The surgeon said that when she does the fibroid surgery she will test to see if the right tube has a hematosalpinx. She said that if the right tube has a hematosalpinx she recommends I remove. She said if I don't. Remove if I get pregnant then toxic material might leak into the uterus and cause a miscarriage. She said the rate of miscarriage is 50 %. I have gone through many Ivfs. I might try one more time. If that does not work I will try donor egg. Do you recommend I go for a second opinion about the hematosalpinx. Is my option to remove the tube. What type of doctor do I go to for the second opinion can I go to a reproductive endocrinologist or a gynocelgical surgeon.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Removal of tube may be needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Hematosalpinx usually happens due to a tubal pregnancy. Since there is no history of tubal pregnancy it can be due to endometriosis. This can cause a persistent pain in the pelvis and can cause an abortion if the contents leak into the uterus during pregnancy. The contents can also leak into peritoneal cavity causing pain.
When you will go for a fibroid surgery it is best to clean and irrigate the tube and in case any pathology like tubal mass or endometriosis or fibrosis is detected then it should be removed. Your surgeon has advised you correctly. You can get a second opinion from a gynecological surgeon after sharing all your reports.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng