What does this ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My wife ultrasound scan report says Left ovary is enlarged with a large homeogenously hyperchoic?cyst,?lesion with no acoustic shadowing and is labulated in nature. This measures 3.7x 2..7 cms. No vascularity is seen within or around this. Right ovary is also enlarged mildly with a hyperechoic stroma and msf,s/o pcos.
No adnexal masses seen. Minimal fluid in pod seen.

Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chocolate Cyst of the left ovary (?)

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX XXXXXXX

I am sure I have not spelt your name correctly and hope you to correct me.

The lesions in your wife's two ovaries appear to be different.

The left ovary is having hyperechoic homogeneous shadow of 3.7 x 2.7 cms. This suggests collection of blood in left ovary in that focal cystic area. Such lesion commonly occurs due to Chocolate cyst of the ovary.

Chocolate cyst of ovary is collection of blood in the ovary due to the presence of endometrium in the ovary. Endometrium normally is present in the uterine cavity; however when present outside the uterine cavity, the condition is known as endometriosis. Such endometrium also bleeds every cycle and in ovary forms Chocolate cyst(s).

Your wife's right ovary seems to have multiple small follicles; hence, diagnosis of Polycystic ovary has been suggested.

You need to concentrate first on the Chocolate cyst of the ovary. Your Gynaecologist may want to investigate her further, may be by Laparoscopy for evidence of any other endometriotic patches elsewhere in the peritoneal cavity. Depending on the findings, the line of action will be decided.

Till the Chocolate cyst is tackled, the small (?) PCOS in the right ovary can wait.

I would appreciate if you upload the ultrasonography images and the reports for my review.

The basic question is why at all she was submitted for this ultrasonography? Was she having any symptoms? Does she get pain in the abdomen, particularly in the left flanks during menstruation? I would like to know her thorough menstrual history.

The answers to these questions will help us to take this discussion more scientific way.

For any more information, please feel free to ask me, B. Visu XXXXXXX

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar