What does minimal fibrohazed densities in both apices due to PTB of undetermined activity means?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: What is the meaning of "minimal fibrohazed densities in both Apices presumably due to PTB of undetermined activity" mean in an X-ray result? My mom is 72 years old and has recently been confined.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

This means focal scarring with fibrotic strands in upper portion /lobe of the lungs.This is commonly seen with old healed infection of tuberculosis, which might have been treated or even gone undetected.

In such cases one needs to investigate, if there is any active tuberculosis at present.If there is no active infection , then there is no need of any treatment.

Scan with blood and skin tests can help doctor know if there is any active infection and decide about the treatment accordingly.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
She is actually taking meds like fixcom 4 and 3 other types of meds... She is very much affected... Should we be worried about her condition? Her doctor hasn't suggested anything and we in the family are taking cautions like separating her utensils and other items that might infect us too. I don't want her to feel depressed about her condition. Kindly tell us what to do? Although she is no longer coughing right now, please tell us more precautions. Thanks doc.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 21 minutes later
In view of details, it is very likely that she doesn't have active infection right now.So possibility of transmission is significantly less.

Patient using face mask whenever possible is very good option.Keep doors and windows open when ever possible. Avoid using AC in home as that circulates air and may act as source of infection.Keep bathrooms,clothes and bed clothing clean.

Make efforts to keep immunity of other family members up , this is single most important thing. Always treat minor infections in other family members effectively.

In case of suspicion get the family member evaluated.

Regards.