What does pain in the arms while coughing indicate in an elderly patient?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am a 70 yr old female, take no medications. I have pain in my arms when I cough ( severe coughing). Is this normal.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It maybe due to cough

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Yes, this may be caused by excessive cough since arm nerves may be irritated in this case. However, some other causes may be considered and it would be good to do lung x-rays to rule out pneumonia first.

If there is pain in left arm associated with chest pain then you should get an ECG done and see cardiologist for further evaluation.

If this does not pull back after cough subsides then you should do neurological and vascular evaluation of your arm which includes neuro graphs and doppler ultrasound.

Wish you good health. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj