What does intermittent pain in different areas of the body indicate?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on 1 day ago in General Health
Question: 32 - M - Obese

Last couple weeks I am experiencing pain that moves to different hot spots on my body. I am attaching a body diagram of the hotspots. Red = often, Orange = usual, Yellow = rare.

My neck left side gets a little sore but not pain. I have a mole there and I wonder if it is rubbing against my collar and getting irritated? Aside from that one I am unsure of the others. The hand and wrist seem carpal tunnel like. The sides of my ribcage make it difficult to sleep on my side but usually only one hurts at any given time so I sleep on the other side. It is about 4-5 inches below my arm pit.

In the last four months I was referred to a cardiologist for these chest pains in my shoulders and such. Multiple ECG, X-ray, echo and stress test confirm my heart is working fine. I have been told it is possibly costochondritis but that does not seem to explain the wrists, fingers, and the moving nature of the pain. As I said, generally only one pain point exists at a time (except the neck which may or may not be irritated).

The only pain point that hurts when pressure is applied is the side of my ribcage. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Rule out lyme disease

Detailed Answer:

Pain that affects multiple areas of the body and migrates from point to point is concerning for possible lyme disease. Lyne disease is a bacterial infection transmitted by tick bite.

However, the tick bite may go unnoticed in many people.

Blood testing to check for lyme antibodies can confirm the disease and treatment is with antibiotics. Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.

Once the infection clears with antibiotics, pain will subside.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. I will get tested for Lyme disease.

What would be your second consideration for the cause if that proves negative?

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:

If Lyme antibodies tested negative, I recommend testing Rheumatoid factor, ESR, ACCP levels tested to rule out inflammatory arthritis.

This is highly unlikely given you do not have any joint pain.
If everything tests negative, then Chronic fatigue syndrome which can present as body pain need to consider.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana