What does ejection fraction of 40% indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My recent echo test found that my heart upper left quad was pumping less than normal (40%). I feel fine. Daily I walk, run or bike everyday and have always been very active. I am retired but I am active active 4 or 5 hours daily. I believe I am being over medicated for what is supposedly only a "minor problem". currently taking: low dose aspirin, Atorvastatin (10 MG), Cardedeilol (6.25 MG 2x daily), and Entresto (24MG 2x daily) with the intent of increasing this drug. Do you believe a second opinion is in order for me?
I am 70 YO, male, 160 LB. (same weight I was at 20 YO). NOTE: mother is 98 YO still living
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't believe so...

Detailed Answer:

40% means that your heart cannot withstand heavy loads. Light exercise is possible but more intense one or a high blood pressure could make your heart fail, causing shortness of breath, pulmonary edema, etc. If your blood pressure is within the target limits (systolic less than 140mmHg but not lower than 125mmHg) and your pulse rate is OK (between 60-70) then your regimen sounds pretty good to me.

Did you have any problems with the drugs you're using? What's the reason of your concerns?

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. To answer your followup questions: I am not having any problems with my drugs, and my BP runs normal to low normal with a resting heart rate of 55 - 60.

My concern is taking drugs , something I do not like to do.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
If everything is under control, you'd better stick to your treatment

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

It seems that you've got everything under control and a healthy and comfortable life too! The drugs reduce your heart's load and allow you for more activities. In any case, before trying anything you should discuss the matter with your cardiologist.

Kind Regards!