Owl Image

What does a white patch on lower lip indicate?

Owl Image
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Question
Sub:White patch on my lowerlip
Dear doctor,
I have a white patch on my lower lip from more than 4years
The size of the patch is not at all growing and its not there in any other part of my body.
I have consulted few dermatologists,they have given elocon, tbis0.1,melgain lotion. Can I regain my melanin content over the lost part?
PS: I have not seen any one having vertiligo in our family chain
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
localised vitiligo, treatment possible

Detailed Answer:

Localised vitiligo patch is a common thing. Family history is not must to get vitiligo. Treatment given to you is good. Try it for at least 6 months. If there is no response you can opt for surgery.

You have not developed any new patch in past 4 years which suggests that you have stable vitiligo.
It can be easily treated with minor surgery.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you

Follow-up: What does a white patch on lower lip indicate? 48 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your swift response.

I have lost my prescription and dont know how to use the ointments(Elocon,Melgain,TBIS) can i use all the three?.

Now i am in XXXXXXX where we dont have proper sunlight (I heard we have to be in sunlight after applying Melgain lotion) could you please guide me how to proceed.

Surgery related:

I heard the punch grafting in easy and most reliable in mycase. could you please suggest its there any other surgerys availabe .

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
suction blister grafting

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
Use melgain in morning after breakfast.
Sunlight exposure is not mandatory.
The other two creams you can use with your convenience. One in afternoon and the other in night.
Suction blister grafting will be better for you instead of punch grafting.
Thank you