What does a "spot in the ribs" mentioned in pelvic CT scan report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: I had stage 1 cancer 2 years ago and had the surgery to removed the prostate. Before the surgery I had pre operation test including a Bone Scan. The Bone scan came back with some time of leisure/spot in the ribs. Doctor at the time said to me no worries this is nothing. So I when ahead with the surgery. I was find and everything is well with me. My PSA from 10 drop to 1.05 then 6 month later to .64 then 4 month later up slightly to .7. With all this going on I also urinated what they call a calculus stone. My doctor tested it and it came back as just that from the kidneys. He at the time asked me to have a Pelvis CTScan to make sure every is ok. The scan came back with the same issue as last time that I have like a leisure or spot in the ribs. Now my uralagist wants me to go for a Bone Scan Spect. This is killing me because now I am worry that I might have bone cancer. He said to me that my prostate cancer was so small that they couldnt even find it when it was removed and that the only reason the surgery was conducted was because it came back positive on the biopsy. He is not being too clear. He tell me not to worry because If I have cancer again my PSA level would be triple the score that I have. But I am Worry. Can you advise me as to what might be going on?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems this bone thing is unrelated

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns. But such a small prostate cancer would not usually go to the bones. That too directly to the ribs. But one thing is unclear to me. This time the CT scan was of the pelvis, so how could they see the ribs? Was it a whole body CT?

Even if some kind of spot is found the bones on CT, I don't think it will be due to the prostate cancer. It may be a benign lesion like bone island. I kind of agree with your doc that as PSA has remained stable, it is unlikely to be due to prostate cancer.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow-up.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Thank you. I will sent in my health result since I started with the elevated PSA levels.

I have uploaded my medical report. Please review it and inform me if it seems like I can be a high rist cancer patient.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems low risk

Detailed Answer:
None of the scan reports are in this but it does appear to be a low risk cancer.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 41 hours later
Thank you. I have an appointment for May 29, 2015 for the Bone Scan Spect Test. I will inform you of my outcome when I see my results on XXXXXXX 2, 2015 with my uralogist. I am praying that all goes well. Thank you for your advise.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Thanks. You are welcome to reach me any time
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist