What does a small bump on the sclera indicate?

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: There is a little white bump on the white part of my eye. No pain. What is it? Anything to worry about? Thanks.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pingueculum.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query.
You are having pingueculum.
A pingueculum is a small bump on the white of your eye, usually on the side closest to your nose. The bump may be clear or yellowish. A pterygium is a small bump that has tiny blood vessels in it. This growth can get bigger and cover part of your cornea, which is the clear outer layer on the front of your eye.It is a change in the normal tissue that results in a deposit of protein, fat and/or calcium.
You usually don’t need any type of treatment for a pinguecula unless it causes discomfort.Eye drop hydroxy methyl cellulose can be used.

Surgery is considered when

It grows over your cornea, since this can affect your vision
or cause extreme discomfort when you try to wear contact lenses or is constantly and severely inflamed, even after you apply eye drops or ointments
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist