Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can pinguecula in the eyes be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Suma Parinam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1704 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am 25 years old. I have pinguecula in my eyes. When will it turn to Pterygium? Is there any cure for pinguecula other than surgery, such as medications?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Susten Plus drops

Detailed Answer:

I am a practising Ophthalmologist.
In my experience I have seen hundreds of cases of Pinguecula turning into Pterygium if they do not take due care. The care precautions are like these:
1) Wearing googles ( preferably wrap around frame design) while going in sun. It is preferable to wear hat to prevent direct rays on the eyes.
2) Since dry eye is the principal contributing factor, eye lubricants like Sustane Plus would definitely help in the eye.
3) If the pingecula is paining and red I would prescribe NSAID eye drops like VOLTAREN OPHTHA to my patients.

You definitely do not need surgery if you follow the above till the pingecula resolves completely, which may take a month to two.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Dry eye

doctor1 MD

Dear Madam/Sir My Wife is 15th week pregnant.She is getting burning sensation in eyes during morning which would be ok for rest of the day she started getting this burning sensation from past 7-8 days and she is having dry eyes . Could you please...

doctor1 MD

I have a black spot on the Sclera of my Rt eye. I have had dry eyes , myopia and floaters for sometime. what is this spot? Should I be concerned? Is there a connection with my other conditions?

doctor1 MD

I had cataract surgery just a little over 3 weeks ago in my left eye. The next day I noticed a "shadow" in the corner of that eye. My eye doctor said that's very common and usually clears up in 2-3 months. However, aside from this shadow, I have...

doctor1 MD

I have had very poor circulation in my feet and hands. Some times after standing for 15 mins my feet go numb. I'm also having fainting sensation when I turn my head to the left. Theses are a few of my health issue. Do you think they are a neurological problem or a medication side affect from the Lexapro and Vyvanse I take everyday to function. My eye doctor just started me on Restasis for my chronic dry eyes. I'm try to figure out if I should stop taking my medication to see if these symptoms go away. Unfortunately my work and family will suffer from that.

doctor1 MD

I have started to have problems with my eyes for a few weeks now. My vision is blurred, my eyes feel like they are burning as if they have looked at the sunlight for to long even at night time and that there is grit in them. The optition reception suggested dry eye and to get drops from the chemist. I have done this and use the drops 3/4 per day for about 5/6 days now. The eyes do not feel like they have grit in them anymore but they still have all the other systoms.

doctor1 MD

I have been having a glue in my eyes feeling for over 2 years now. I have seen 4 different ophthalmologists and all 4 either thing it s either allergies or I should use moisturizing drops. The last guy noted I have baggy conjunctiva . I always feel like something is STUCK in my eyes. I need help. Surgery if some of the conjunctiva needs to be removed!!!! I m aggressive at solving this problem! It is affecting my work and my life! Have found this: CONJUNCTIVAL CHALASIS: Occurring when a loss of Tenon’s fascia allows bulbar conjunctiva to become loose, conjunctival chalasis can cause persistent discomfort due to the loose tissue being pinched and folding over on itself. The diagnosis of conjunctival chalasis if often missed, largely due to an overlap in symptoms with dry eye disease , but when diagnosed, proper treatment can often result in complete resolution of symptoms. In some patients, lubricants and/or NSAIDs are sufficient to relieve discomfort, and I always try these therapies before proceeding to surgery. If necessary, removing the redundant conjunctival tissue and replacing it with an amniotic membrane graft also achieves excellent outcomes. Since all the O s I have seen are just drop guys - what kind of doctor do I need to find to help me??!!

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering with chronic dry eyes . I am on anti inflamitory drops, I have also been having problems with humming in my ears. Yesterday I had a very bad ear ache, my ENT said it was probably my eustachian tubes and gave me oral anti inflammitory meds. Today my ear feels much better, and my eyes also feel much better. I want to know if there is a connection.