How can pinguecula in the eyes be treated?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am 25 years old. I have pinguecula in my eyes. When will it turn to Pterygium? Is there any cure for pinguecula other than surgery, such as medications?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Susten Plus drops

Detailed Answer:

I am a practising Ophthalmologist.
In my experience I have seen hundreds of cases of Pinguecula turning into Pterygium if they do not take due care. The care precautions are like these:
1) Wearing googles ( preferably wrap around frame design) while going in sun. It is preferable to wear hat to prevent direct rays on the eyes.
2) Since dry eye is the principal contributing factor, eye lubricants like Sustane Plus would definitely help in the eye.
3) If the pingecula is paining and red I would prescribe NSAID eye drops like VOLTAREN OPHTHA to my patients.

You definitely do not need surgery if you follow the above till the pingecula resolves completely, which may take a month to two.