What does a rubbery texture of stool suggest?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a long rubbery elastic band stool, what could this be, it was rather strange, I have just started eating XXXXXXX chi the last couple of days.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
might be mild to moderate stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Rubbery band like stool means that there is presence of excess mucus in stool. This can be present in stool following excess fat intake in food or might be due to mild or moderate stomach infection.
Dont worry.
In such patients, I advise soft bland diet for 3days followed by healthy less-fat less-junk diet with more fruits and vegetables. Plenty of oral intake of fluid and water is suggested. Also, a small course of antibiotic with ofloxacin-ornidazole for 5 days is advised.
You can consult your treating doctor for prescription of the above.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta