What does a red bulging tumor in the ear canal indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Falling asleep at my desk nearly every day. Have never been able to nap in my life. A few weeks ago i had pretty significant bleeding from my ear and since I started to see a rheum (I have Psoriatic arthritis) i asked if he wouldnt mind checking my ear. He saw a red bulging tumor, half way in....Concurrently, I was due for follow up CT of chest for pulm sub-centimeter nodules, had that yesterday as well and the only pertinent finding was a hypoattenuated lesion on the upper lobe of the liver...Apparently very common and not concerning, per the Radiologist. I am an RN at same facility...Just a weird constellation of symptoms and am wondering if any are connected. I always have a WBC > 14K and a sed rate over 50. I think Neuro, prob best specialty---Just not sure where to start...
Other than WBC, normal CBC, Lytes, MM workup negative, apparently Sed rate can be explained by the PsA.The fatigue has been going on for months. Weight gain, not loss, normal recent echo. No ETOH, etc.
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
May not be interlinked as discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Nice to know that you are an RN.
Noted the history well and understood the concerns.

Let us see each problem one by one and see if these can be connected.

Ear bleeding with a bulging red tumor in in ear canal is usually due to a granuloma and can occur insidiously or due to excessive cleaning, small old injury in canal. Better to see an ENT as this may need an active treatment.

Psoriatic Arthritis can cause raised ESR of 50 as this is a chronic condition and the significance of Sed Rate is to see whether this is reducing with proper management or not; this is also called as of only prognostic value.

Subcentimeter nodules on CT scan of the chest are followed by reviews and a Radiologist can tell what these can be. A pulmonologist can tell better and may go for bronchoscopy, lavage for cytology and may be guided FNAC if the expertise is available.

Hypoattenuated lesion in the liver is usually due to hemangioma and evaluated properly and followed as required. Maybe tapped if tough of an abscess or so and may be the reason for raised WBC.
All the above issues do not seem to be interlinked as such.

The best Specialists as discussed above are an ENT for ear canal problem, Rheumatologist - you are already consulting and an opinion of a Gastroenterologist an association with a Radiologist who has a major role in decision making.

The diseases, medications, sedentary life can cause the fatigue, falling asleep at the desk, weight gain and so on.

I hope this answers your query, helps you further to get a proper diagnosis in toto and get an appropriate management.

Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.