What does a mass is inside the scrotum indicate?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a medium size mass in my scrotum that does not appear to be attached to a testicle. In, itself, it is not painful, but my underwear has rubbed a raw spot on the mass which is quite uncomfortable. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but he did not examine it very closely.

Ideas? Advice? Comments?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If the mass is inside the scrotum, it can be a hydrocele ( a cyst filled with clear fluid), varicocele (varicose veins of this area) or other benign lump.
If this lesion is in the scrotal skin, sebaceous cyst, hair follicle inflammation can be the reason.
In case of lump located inside the scrotum, testis ultrasound is necessary. Varicocele or hydrocele can be treated with surgery. You should visit urologist with it.
If the mass is in the skin, you should consult dermatologist and consider removal of it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.