• question-icon

What does a discoloration on shoulder indicate?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had discoloration on my shoulder for months now. There was no injury and it does not hurt. Is there any concern?

Also on this same arm I have been experiencing pain on the inside of my elbow. It tends to hurt more when I am bending it. However, the pain still lingers even after bending it. This arm is bigger than the left one meaning it looks fatter than the left one by a couple of inches. This is also my dominant hand. Again no injury.

Are these two issues related?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think both are related

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and it looks to me both are different problems with no co relation. For diagnosis we need to do few investigations.
1. Get a skin specialist opinion about discoloration, I believe it can be a contact dermatitis.
2. A orthopaedic examination is needed to find out if there is nerve compression or tendinitis. These both issues can cause swelling and arm may look bigger. Most common cause of such pain is golfer's elbow. Your doctor may ask you to get MRI to confirm the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement