Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What does a black patch inside the cheek indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I just noticed a black patch / spot inside my cheek . The center is very red and looks like the skin is broken. It's a little smaller than a dime. Very worried.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
You have mentioned the site of concern as " inside your cheek". So the lesion is probably over buccal mucosa inside oral cavity.
Now a black patch in the oral cavity with red centre or raw area could be erosive lichen planus, herpes infection,erythroplakia or an aphthous ulcer.
I would need the pictures of the lesion to make a diagnosis, so please upload an image of affected area by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page.
Also please let me know
since how long the lesions are present
if the lesions are painful
If any spicy food causes burning sensation over affected area.
If you had similar lesion in past
Any other skin lesions
If you smoke or chew tobbacco

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor