Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What doctor do I see for a withering left hand?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10365 Questions
Left hand is "withering", what type of doctor do I see ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

By the description provided by you I think that you are concerned about the muscle wasting of your hand.

It is most commonly caused by nerve compression syndromes or motor neuropathies.
Proper examination by a neurologist will help in proper diagnosis. Nerve conduction studies and electromyography will also be helpful in diagnosis.

Please get back to me with further details regarding your condition like;

1. Since when you are noticing this change in your hand.
2. Do you have any pain in the arm, like shooting type of pain?
3. Do you have weakness in your left arm or hand?
4. The withering you have noticed, How is it? Do you feel that your arm is getting smaller?
5. Or is it like the skin is getting wrinkled?

So that I will be in a better position to give you a better information.

I encourage you to consult a neurologist for the required investigations and further treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor