• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Respected Doctor
My father is 80 years of age having pain in stomach which arises in every now and then with vomiting also giddiness. When this pain arises, this raises to chest, heart area and back as well. He also has problem while urinating and in lower abdomen. At that time he feels pain some times and burning.
In whole body ultrasound, many gallstones were detected. Surgeon before taking final view on operation of gallbladder, asked to consult urology also. Doctor of urology suggested many Tests, which I am enclosing herewith.
It is also to inform that while Doubutamine Test of Heart, it was normal. He also has thyroid problem consuming 25 mg Thyroxin pills.
If You could kindly help me out in this process what is actually the main curx of diagnosis of these reports. I shall be obliged.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing major noted

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query. Noted the reports of MRI, PET Scan and blood tests.

I do not find any reasonable finding associated with the symptoms you told me except for gall bladder stones. Since there are multiple stones but all are very small. It may be that any high fat diet is causing the gall bladder to contract to relase the enzymes to digest the high fat. During this contraction the stones might be trying to come out resulting in pain and vomiting. Hence I believe these could be the chief cause of complaints by your father. This can be eased out with proper diet. Small, multiple, liquid diet than solid diet.
The Urology test seem fine except mild increase in BUN.
All other tests are good.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later

In PET Test, there is shown some mild FDG Avid in chest, Pleural thickening in the apices of both the lungs. Somewhere I found it to be related to Cancer. Kindly suggest if such is the case here or its all fine in my father’s case. I am really so worried about it.
Brief Answer:
PET

Detailed Answer:

As per my knowledge the PET test is not pointing anything about cancer.
PET scan are read by advanced physician called Nuclear Medicine doctors. As per the report they have not mentioned anything like that in the report.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 29 minutes later
I am extremely thankful for reading such words and much relieved.
Further I would like to know whether it would be advisable to go for gallstone surgery specially in this age of 80, as you also confirmed for reason of pain being Gallstone
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reason for surgery

Detailed Answer:

It needs thorough counseling of the patient and relatives before you go in for surgery. It needs time to give a nod for the surgery. Your operating doctor is the best counselor.
TAKE TIME and ALWAYS OPT LAST FOR SURGERY (only if other things are not helping).
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam