What do the following thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: Dear doctor , ihope you are doing well.

Please fimd the attached reports for my thyroid. we just receive a report from his doctor for FNAC with suspicious for malignancy. Please explain the report of the result and if it cancer ???
Best regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspicious for cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This report has been finalized by the pathologist as suspicious for cancer. But they couldn't say with certainty.

In this scenario, best would be to remove the left lobe by surgery. During surgery, pathologist will do biopsy again by frozen section. If that confirms cancer, then remove right lobe also in same sitting.

Even if it is cancer, it is curable. So nothing to worry.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hi Doctor, thanks a lot for your reply . May I ask if it cancer .when shall I do it and is urgent or can postpone to April. And if the biopsy suspicions maloganat is it means any cancer stage or is it mean early stage. Shall I repeat the Fnca or no need. Last is there any suspious cancer shown benign ??? Thanks in advance best regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should not be postponed

Detailed Answer:
At this point we don't know if it is cancer but shouldn't be postponed till April.

Biopsy can't say the stage. It can say cancer or no cancer. If cancer is there, then after surgery we will know final stage. But according to ultrasound it seems early stage. And this FNAC says suspicious only, not confirmed cancer.

Yes, many times suspicious on FNAC has turned out to be not cancer.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 minutes later
Thanks doctor, my last question , shall I repeat the FNAC ?? And is there any risk of that ? Best regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Won't help

Detailed Answer:
FNAC only takes few cells and as one is inconclusive, unlikely that another will change anything. But you can take the slides to some other expert pathologist and take second opinion.