What do sudden chill like sensation on side of neck suggest?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: HI again I was just sitting at my computer doing some work then all of a sudden on a couple of occasions I had a cold chill run down the side of my head. I looked it up on the computer and it said possible ms but I had a mri done a month ago and it came back mild non specific white matter and referred to migraines with mild micro myelination and it also stated that it was inconclusive.
I know I have been on here before but this gets scarier by the day. I have not had a head ache in about 6 to 8 years could the tingling or chilly feeling be a sign of ms or just maybe tired or straining my eyes on the computer or could it be from an old aura migraines that I have had years ago.
I imagine that a radiologist could tell from the mri if it was ms and the fact that it was none specific can that rule out ms.

Sorry for bugging you doctors all the time but my doctor has put in for a emg with a neurologist but no date has been set. I wish I lived in the United States and this matter would be resolved by now.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be multiple sclerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Your symptoms are very non specific and did not fit into multiple sclerosis. The complains in multiple sclerosis may be varied either motor, sensory or bladder bowel involvement. The sensory phenomenon are usually precipitated by warm or hot exposure and it is persistent for some hours atleast.
Occurrence for few seconds is difficult to be fitting into multiple sclerosis.
Mri whit matter changes of MS are characteristic and location is also specific.
You can upload Mri images for evaluation. In your case presence of hypertension and dyslipidemia are risk factor for such non specific Mri changes.
You should follow instructions of your treating physician and undergo test advised by him.
Further you can discuss your case with neurologist when you visit for investigation.
Do not get worried as possibility of multiple sclerosis is unlikely.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 41 hours later
Hi again Dr. XXXXXXX

I am going to pick up a copy of the scan and report of the mri that was done is it possible if I send it to you that you could take a look at it to see what you think and what the radiologist reports were it would be like a second opinion.
XXXXXXX

Hi I wanted to send you this report on my mri. My doctor put down recurrent headache but I don't know why he did that because I have not had a migraine headache in at least 7 to 10 years. I use to get aura type headaches on occasion but not on a regular basis.

Findings on the report

There is no evidence of an intracranial hemorrhage , mass lesion, or acute infection.

There are tiny foci of high signal intensity on T2 weighted images in the deep white matter of the left parietal lobe as well as in the peri ventricular white matter of the right frontal lobe.

The ventricles and sulci are normal in caliber

The vessels of the anterior and posterior circulation demonstrate normal flow voids on T2 weighted images..

The parasail sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear.

Impressions - mild nonspecific white matter changes most in keeping with mild microangiopathic changes. A myelination process would be less likely but cannot be excluded. Similar white matter changes can be seen in patients with chronic migraines.

Having said all that from the report do you and I have not had a headache in years could this be put down to ms. My doctor is sending me to a neurologist soon I hope because getting to see a neurologist up in Canada takes soo much time and I am really worried.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be multiple sclerosis on this MRI report

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Your MRI reports doesn't seems to be compatible with multiple sclerosis.
The specific involvement of U fibres or corpus callosum is more specific. Even your age is a bit late for onset of multiple sclerosis.
White matter changes are commonly age related , diabetes and hypertension induced or atherosclerotic small vessel changes in brain. Such non specific changes have also been reported in migraine.
You should stay calm and discuss all your fear with the neurologist your are going to visit.
In mean time you should control your blood pressure and take supplementation for B12 deficiency.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist